The Music Studio's songwriting program encourages aspiring songwriters ages seven years and up to explore their creativity in a private lesson format. Students have the opportunity to develop their songwriting skills, record professional demos of their songs and learn more about the local songwriting community. Whether you dream of writing your first song or want help with your latest tune, professional songwriter Shelby Lynn will help you write a song of your own. Listen to a sampling of Shelby’s songs.
Create your own song!
Students are encouraged to write, record and perform their own original songs. Students will also learn to analyze songs within an acoustic environment to gain knowledge in the field of musical production.
In this course you will create your own song by learning the following skills:
- Understand basic song structures, hooks, repetition etc.
- Create memorable verses, pre-choruses, chorus and bridges.
- Find an effective song form for the style of song you wish to write.
- Work with harmonic and melodic structures to support the emotional intent of lyric.
Record Your Song
You will learn the following recording skills:
- Basic recording and producing technique.
- How to play/record live instruments for added effect.
- Basic microphone technique.
Perform Your Song
Students have many opportunities to perform their songs at the following venues through The Music Studio.
- Second Cup
- Creative Village
- Montgomery's Inn
- Various musical venues in the GTA
- The Music Studio Recital
Student performing at a songwriting showcase.
Listen to songs written and recorded by students of The Music Studio's songwriting program.
Listen to the song, I'll Be a Millionaire, that was written and recorded by students at a songwriting workshop presented at The Music Studio.
Monthly fees are charged based on the following rates and vary according to the number of lesson days in each month:
Weekly and bi-weekly lessons are available. Lesson fees are prorated for new students who begin their lessons part way through a month. Please see The Music Studio's private lesson payment schedule.
Payment Options for Private Lessons
- Cheque - Cheque - Post-dated cheques dated for the first day of each month within a session are due at your first lesson of each session. Cheques are payable to your teacher.
- Credit card - Automatic billing - The Music Studio will charge your credit card on the first day of each month for your weekly lessons in that month. To pay using automatic billing, you must provide The Music Studio with your credit card information at registration.
- Monthly payments - Monthly, in-person, payments by cash, cheque or Interac e-Transfer may be accepted but must be arranged at the time of registration.