Musical Beginnings Camp
Introduce Your Child to Music - Ages: 4-6
Dates: Camp A: August 17 - August 21. Camp B: August 24 - August 28.
Size: Maximum of 7 students
Teacher: Bogdana Scrivens
Location: The Music Studio
No previous musical experience required.
The purpose of this camp is to expose students to their first experience with music learning: singing songs together, learning rhythms by ear (clapping, tapping), exploring various sounds on the keyboard and early introduction to note reading/playing (Do to Sol). The idea is to learn to work as a team through singing and playing on the keyboard.
A CD accompaniment will be added to simple songs involving playing a single note (e.g. Do) and progresses to five notes (Do to Sol). Students will also have time to practice on their own and receive individual guidance before playing together as a group. The teacher will also accompany students on the piano as they sing songs like 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' using the original lyrics as well as solfege.
A Day at Camp:
- 9:00 am - 10:00 am Morning greeting followed by singing songs and playing on the keyboard together with CD accompaniment
- 10:00 am - 10:30 am Music theory puzzles and colouring
- 10:30 am - 10:45 am Snack
- 10:45 am - 11:15 am Watch a musical DVD of the songs from the morning
- 11:15 am - 11:45 am Solfege singing
- 11:45 am - 12:30pm Free Play
- 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch (students will provide their own nut-free lunch)
- 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Review of morning songs (singing and playing on the keyboard)
- 2:00pm - 2:30 pm Music theory puzzles and colouring
- 2:30 pm - 2:45 pm Snack
- 2:45 pm - 3:00 pm Goodbye song and conclude with story telling
By the end of the 5 days, students will have learned Do to Sol. They will prepare several songs for a final performance.
Note: The Music Studio’s In-Person Summer Camps will only take place if we are permitted to do so by government and health authorities. The health and safety of our students and staff is The Music Studio’s top priority. The Music Studio will follow all disinfecting and social distancing protocols implemented by government and health authorities for all in-person camps.