Piano Duets Plus Camp: Learn “How Not to Crash Into Your Partner!”
Dates: July 24-July 28
Size: Maximum of 10 students
Teacher: Lisa Raposa
Location: The Music Studio
For students at RCM piano Level 5 and higher.
This unique summer camp is geared towards teenaged piano students who wish to explore the world of piano duets. Students will be paired up by ability and personality. The instructor/piano coach will give guidance on a number of topics related to playing music with a piano duet partner including: how to skillfully begin and end a piece of music, how to choreograph smooth hand movements (Also known as: how not to crash into your partner!), and how to play together in a variety of musical styles.
Students will have the opportunity to play several styles of music and improve their ability to sight-play music in a fun, social context. They will learn how to skillfully start and end a piece of music with another piano player. Music for four-, six-, and eight-hands at one piano will be explored as well as music for more than one piano. The following musical styles are covered: classical piano duets, symphonic transcriptions, blues, popular film music. Students will also learn how to create their own duet parts (accompanying a melody). Each student performs for the class three times, including a final class performance and video.
A Day at Camp:
- Day 1- Each student plays a solo starting at 1:15. Students would then be paired up according to level. The last day would be structured to prepare for a video recorded performance.)
- Days 2, 3, 4 - 1:00-1:15 - Arrival in the ensemble room, talk with students, present topic of the day (i.e. How to practice together; How not to crash into your piano duet partner!, etc.)
- 1:15-1:50 - Practice in pairs in 4 acoustic piano rooms + one pair in the ensemble room. The instructor visits each room and gives pointers to students. Students engage in peer learning while challenging each other to learn their parts.
- 1:50-2:00 – Break in the ensemble room, talk about challenges in the music
- 2:00-2:15 – Watch a short professional piano duo video and talk about it
- 2:15-2:50 – Play scales together on the five keyboards in the ensemble room; resume practice in pairs (change rooms; possibly change partners on the first day) – instructor visits rooms and gives pointers.
- 2:50-3:15 – Break (with snack) in the ensemble room + percussion game using rhythm sticks.
- 3:15-3:50 – Pairs perform pieces for the class in one of the acoustic piano rooms. Students play pieces for one piano and six- and eight-hands.
- 3:50-4:00 – Wrap up.
- Day 5- Preparation for a video recorded performance.
Call The Music Studio at 416.234.9268 or email email@example.com. Space is limited so register early. Payment in full is due at registration. Extended drop-off and pick-up times are available.